Prev: Re: [GZG] Opening a can of worms - for fun. (was: Re: Cinematic Vs Vector for Dummies Re: Running Full Thrust at a con? Next: [GZG] Points system

Re: [GZG] Measuring and Vector

From: Simon White <mintroll-gzg-ft@2...>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 8:37:38 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Measuring and Vector

In my humble opinion vector movement is easier to teach... as long as
you begin by allowing pre-measuring (I just had to be different).

When I started teaching my group, we used markers to pre-measure and
plan our movement orders. I'd recommend this for the first few turns.
I also did assault courses... mini scenarios with several planets/space
scenery and a beginning and end region (6mux6mu) on the table - your
challenge was to race from start to finish (no weapons - only movement).
In fact, I might have the course maps I made up... I worked out some
'optimal' solutions (will hunt around for them... but they're simple to
do yourself). I would really recommend doing this, at least a simple one
like:
START ----\ PLANET /----END
	   --------
Try it with a single speed 6 ship, then a speed 6 and 4 (which must come
to a stop in the end region on consecutive turns), start from
stationary. It'll take about half an hour, teach them all the movement
rules and how the game flows. Since it's a race, there is a winner
Of course, if you haven't got time to waste... this isn't such a good
idea.

We stopped measuring after a few battles... of course measuring your
move tells your opponent exactly where you intend to be, if they write
their orders after you. Thus, as some people moved to not measuring,
they had to write their moves first... then the pre-measurer's went
(yes, it is unfair - but it kept people playing the game).

In regard to pre-measuring slowing down the game... it really is a
matter of who you play with. Egg timers can be your friend in this case,
you can buy 1,3,5 and 10 minute ones - or a chess clock (have used one
of them for other wargames... but doesn't quite fit with the FT method
of play).

I'm generally in favour of pre-measuring.
I don't mind in FT because of the simultaneous planning and movement,
but in turn based movement judging the distance isn't a skill - it's
luck. Also seems to greatly disadvantage shooty type armies - the melee
guys just run at you, the shooters need to fire and then fall back out
of charge range... much harder to judge. Warmachine is a case in
point... especially when some units charge range is 1 or 2 inches
shorter than the shooters range... that's a pretty narrow margin. Sorry,
I'm ranting... but non-measuring is bad in alternating turn games (in my
opinion).

Simon

--
Experience is the fool's best teacher; the wise do not need it.

http://fullthrust.2-72.co.uk