Prev: Re: [GZG] Rules: Fast and Dirty, 4th edition Next: Re: [GZG] Rules: Fast and Dirty, 4th edition

Re: [GZG] Rules: Fast and Dirty, 4th edition

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:07:50 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Rules: Fast and Dirty, 4th edition

y said:

My only question would be (to anyone who's played it) is it faster than
SG2...

Tomb:

No idea - just DL'd the thing.

But I'm curious - do you find SG2 slow? From having run SG games for
friends, at cons including 11 ECCs, I find that the slowest aspects are:

1. Player decision cycles (some folks aren't fast to make up their
minds)
2. Moving figures (moving a squad of 8 often means a measure plus two or
three sets of shoving stuff around)
3. Casualty resolution (impact vs. armour, marking with white or black
skulls) (But there is a faster alternative method)

The game mechanics themselves I've never really seen as a bottleneck.
There
are usually only tests when it would make sense for there to be one and
if
you avoid some of the fiddliest bits (EW, Artillery or Air), the game
has a
pretty simple set of base mechanics.

So I'm curious, if you do find it slow, whereabouts? What aspect do you
see
as the largest sink of time?

I've played one or two faster rulesets, but most of them left a bad
taste in
my mouth because of the detail they sacrificed - shortcuts usualy
involve
very set values, no tests where there probably should be, or suchlike
from
what I can see.

Playing FT (as an aside), I've seen some people take forever to be ready
for
a turn. Ref's often remind me 'now it is time to plot your movement' and
reply 'I've been done for several minutes now'. Play groups all get used
moving at some sort of pace which isn't always a reflection on the game
- it
can be a reflection on the nature of the players or their aptitudes for
some
tasks.

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty
quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] Rules: Fast and Dirty, 4th edition Next: Re: [GZG] Rules: Fast and Dirty, 4th edition