Prev: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Update on "Mystery Fleet" contest....

Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:18:05 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

At 5:25 PM -0500 10/17/08, Allan Goodall wrote:
>However, for some reason the difference isn't as big a deal on board
>game/miniature hybrids, such as Memoir '44. In Memoir 44 an infantry
>unit is made up of 4 figures of roughly 20mm scale while an armoured
>unit is made up of 3 tanks of roughly 6mm scale. Yes, it's wonky, but
>it never really bothers me. Perhaps it's because of the hexes. Not
>arguing your point, of course, just pointing out an interesting
>feature of human psychology.

I've always hated anything but 1:1 for miniature gaming purposes. If
you're going to go with scale, just go with chits or an ersatz marker
that you can increment the size of the unit with a dial or different
base? Not unlike how the Avalon hill games add a slash to the chit to
indicate company strength vs a battalion as normal.

Oh, and it is interesting that this came up. I finally pulled some stops
out and re-paintd my SunRoom in my house. I can finally do proper games
there again and I pulled all my figures and such out and indexed them on
shelves and even put my NAC 25mm infantry in a place of honor on the 3
shelves with figures on them. I think I'm hating the idea of having to
re-paint a whole new set of NAC infantry, PA and Gurkhas. Luckily I only
have 2 25mm vehices from the Stargrunt range.

It's sad really though, I used to dream about having a dedicated gaming
room and now that I have had a house for 7 years, I still haven't really
set one up in it. The basement is too small to make a rapid conversion
so it's one of the rooms of the house.
-		  Data Center Operations Group		       -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		     One CNN Center SE0813 E   -
- Internet Technologies   --	     Data Center Operations    -
- Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri     (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)    -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	   ( Suwanee and Manassas DCs) -
- Office: 404-588-6191		    e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com  -

Prev: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Update on "Mystery Fleet" contest....