Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

[GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: "Bill Brush" <bbrush@g...>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:41:30 -0500
Subject: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

I was discussing the pirate situation off Somalia with some sailors
(civilian) and someone made a comment that an RPG at 100 yards would
be sufficient to cause an immediate surrender.

Now ignoring the psychological component of having an RPG fired at you
let's consider the effectiveness of an RPG vs. a sailboat.

My thoughts:

Would an RPG warhead detonate against a fiberglass boat?  I'm unclear
on the necessary impact needed to detonate one, but I wonder at
whether or not a warhead designed for impact vs armor would even
notice a plastic boat hull on it's way through.

Assuming the warhead detonated, what would be the probable effect of
the blast?  Small hole?  Big hole?  What would be the difference if it
was a steel hull boat?

Assuming the attackers were operating from some sort of comparatively
small powerboat, would it be safe to fire an RPG from it?  I
understand they have a significant backblast, which could endanger
their own vessel.

Could you even hit a moving boat, from a second moving boat, under
open sea rollers?  They're a comparatively low-velocity weapon with a
limited range.	I think it would be exceptionally difficult to get a
solid hit that was anything other than luck, unless the firer was very
well trained (unlike most pirates/terrorists.)	I mean the analog
would be firing at a moving vehicle, from a moving vehicle while going
over small hills.

FWIW, my comment was that I would be much more concerned by an
automatic weapon on a pintle , rather than an RPG as it's much harder
to dodge 400-500 rounds/minute (or more.)  A Ma Deuce would make short
work of any small craft, and an M60 or M249 would also make for a very
bad day.

I know we have a lot of current and former military here, as well as
one combat engineer who is probably ready to go test this out.	:-)

Bill

Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?