Prev: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:50:26 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

At 11:00 AM +0300 7/11/08, John Atkinson wrote:

>I'm boring, and I think I annoy some people, because I assume that
>without some drastic changes to modes of warfare (and making more
>powerful direct-fire weapons and faster hovertanks aren't enough) then
>modern-style organizations are going to work better than "more
>interesting" ones.  On the other hand, they work and work well.  YMMV.

Something to add to this, unless technology changes drastically, you
don't see major changes in organization. With new system you do get
differences in doctrine until the best method is found.

In the previously mentioned case of British tank platoons of 3 tanks (3
three fighters in a flight) they tried that first. IT seemed to work in
training, but after a LOT of combat and a LOT of soul searching, the 4
tank platoon and 4 fighter scheme was found to work better.

If you have tanks that just get faster (hover or grav tanks) you're
still likely to want to stick to 4 tank units for general purposes as a
basic unit. They're still tanks, they still fight like tanks and even if
you're faster and more fighter like, those still tend to fight 2x2.
-		  Data Center Operations Group		       -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		     One CNN Center SE0813 E   -
- Internet Technologies   --	     Data Center Operations    -
- Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri     (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)    -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	   ( Suwanee and Manassas DCs) -
- Office: 404-588-6191		    e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com  -

Prev: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...