Prev: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different... Next: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

[GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: Adrian1 <al.ll@t...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:06:43 +0100
Subject: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

I want to build an army based on the minimum of variation for a campaign

setting that would include "factories".  These can only build one type
of item at a time and take time to change over to another type of
item..	However I know real world armies have lots of variations.  Is
there a reason other than economics.  Please feel free to nitpick it do
death.	It's better to find the flaws at the planning stage than the
battlefield stage.

There will be three levels - militia, regular and guard/elite.

There will be one basic vehicle frame size 4 with class with 4 armour
and 2 infantry squads.	This frame is used by ALL the vehicles

The militia will use fast wheeled CFE armed with either HVC/4 or a
SLAM/4 (50/50 ratio).

The Regulars will use fast GEV HMT armed with either MDC/4 or SlAM/4
(75/25 ratio)

The Guards will use GRAV FGP armed with either DFFG/4 or SLAM/4 (75/25
Ratio)

The militia are, in theoy, to hold secure areas and deal with rebels,
bandits, resistance and mopping-up operations.	The regulars are, well,
regulars and supposed to do most of the slow, dangerous take and hold
fighting that is pretty much the norm for warfare.  The guards are
planned to be rapid assault/counter-attack units who are expected, given

the tools at their disposal, to close with the enemy and cause a great
deal of damage in a short amount of time.

All support units such as artillery, ADS, radar, transport, etc will use

basic frames with Fast GEV HMT.

I couldn't standardise them any further siince economics are involved
and a miltia force will cost a LOT less than a regular force.

You think this is bad - My battletech force was VERY minimised - mechs
had one engine type (300), two mech weights (50 and 75) and two weapons
types (PPG and ML) whle vehicles were 50 ton gevs using 300 engines with

PPGs or cargo.