Prev: Re: [GZG] Space habitats and scale. Next: Re: [GZG] Space habitats and scale.

Re: [GZG] Space habitats and scale.

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:29:09 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Space habitats and scale.

>Probably the best thing is to put them in at a smaller scale than the
ships,
>after all the 'ground scale' is different to the 'model scale', so a
smaller
>representation of space habitat may be more appropriate.
>
>I have done planets/moons using large (20cm radius) foam balls cut in
half,
>and painted up to represent the surface.
>
>Robyn

Agreed - the mini scale isn't really relevant in FT, since if the
ships were to scale you'd need a microscope over the games table (and
my sculpting would need to get a lot finer)....  ;-)
As it is, the 1/2400 scale is very, very rough - and the fighters are
several times larger than they really should be.
So, I'd make colonies, habitats etc. so that they look sufficiently
impressive on the table, but as long as they are larger than the
biggest ship you have that should be visually OK. The old plastic
Bab5 station kit can look very good if you can find one, but takes up
a lot of table space at around 19" long. There is also a recent (as
in last few years) Revell (?) kit of the International Space Station
which yields all sorts of useful parts for building your own habitats.

Jon (GZG)