Prev: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles Next: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles

Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 21:05:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles

>TomB wrote:
>
>>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/09/military-adds-armor-to-ir_n_1
01083.html

>>Jon (or someone else) should make some wheel models that look like the
>>new generation of mine resistant vehicles we're seeing. They look
>>pretty interesting.
>
>To me they look pretty much like the modified trucks they are...
They're
>also big as barns and heavy as hell, which makes them rather
unmanouevrable
>- while their limited cross-country performance doesn't matter that
much in
>Iraq ATM (not even tracks are very good at crossing canals, marshy
areas
>and town buildings :-/ ), the MRAPs also have problems with narrow
streets
>and similar restricted urban terrains.
>
>I can't recall off-hand if GZG's "Phalanx" and similar vehicles are
>V-bottomed; but if they are they could easily be at least as
mine-resistant
>as today's MRAPs.

Though it wasn't something I originally had in mind, both the Paladin
and the Phalanx WOULD be pretty good mine-resistant designs - you'd
probably lose a wheel to a large enough charge, but if you assume
they can keep driving on 5 of the 6 (as I believe the Saladin and
Saracen could way back, and I presume most of today's 6-wheelers can
too) then they'd stand a good chance of protecting their occupants
and still be able to drive out of trouble.

Jon (GZG)