Prev: Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid Next: Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid

Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid

From: Evyn MacDude <infojunky@c...>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:19:30 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid

On  Apr11 08, at 17:52, Tom B wrote:

> Evyn wrote:
>
> "I read this, and I have a big question, How does one go about
> "Modifying" SG2 rules for Traveller?"
>
> A1: Mark Kinsey created the modular cutters, defined how many
> people could occupy them, what sorts of weapons could hurt them
> (none we had) and how their missiles would work (designed for space
> combat, poorly). He also had I think and alternate damage system
> for vehicles (or maybe I mis-recall that). And he differentiated
> his vehicles in terms of movement rates, not something vanilla SG2
> does. That is mostly what he did.

Ok, those I can see, and are a couple of the biggest items
of contention within rules discussion about SG2.

> A2: Allan Goodall has written a Traveller conversion for SG2. So
> have I. Allan's worked by saying "a gauss rifle in Traveller is a
> gauss rifle in SG2" - that is, he used the same stats. So he just
> converted "PGMP/FGMP" = Plasma Gun, etc. He maintained the SG2
> balance of weapons vs. each other and vs. armour types. My
> conversion on the other hand tried to preserve the relative
> relationships of power of weapon to weapon and weapon to armour
> present in the Traveller Universe, so a gauss rifle has stats that
> fit in that context, rather than vanilla SG2 stats. Allan's
> conversion is up on the web somewhere (when I talk to him next I'll
> ask him where....) and so is his scenario Plasma Ambush, which is a
> Traveller scenario done in SG2. My conversion was only ever a
> partial job (some kinks to work out) and has not been published yet.

IMHO SG2 is Traveller, or at least the Traveller of my youth (the
Little Black Books),
there has been a lot of scale creep over the years within Traveller,
especially
MegaTraveller..... I will save the rest of this rant for the TML.

Evyn MacDude
infojunky@ceecom.net

"When a meeting, or part thereof, is held under the Chatham House
Rule, participants are free to use the information received, but
neither the identity nor the affiliation of the speaker(s), nor that
of any other participant, may be revealed"

Prev: Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid Next: Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid