Prev: Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid Next: Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [OT] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid

Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid

From: Mark Kinsey <Kinseym@p...>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:12:25 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [GZG ECC XI] [AAR] Broadsword: The Raid

Tom,

Very well done AAR. Obviously a lot of work. Thank you for doing it. My
website for those pictures is at
http://clambo.com/GZG%20ECC%20XI/index.html

I have a few minor quibbles, the TFL did not have any kind of rocket
launcher. I'm sure they wished they had. Just semi-auto SLR's (listed as

hunting rifles). Giving them full-auto assault-rifles seemed to give
them too much firepower. I toyed with giving them a recoilless rifle
stand. Perhaps in the sequel game I'm planning...

The mercs are under contract for the Vilisan government which has kept
the planet of Garda-Vilis (it means "new Vilis") under it's heel, only
allowing a limited amount of manufacturing industries on planet. Before
the Vilisan gov't took over the planet was called Tanoose. Tanoose was a

failed colony, and the Vilisan government took over to "save" the
colonists. The rebellion forces are called the Tanoose Freedom League
even though almost no one on the planet is a descendant of the original
colony.

I have to agree with you about being generous in the judging the
scenario outcome and agree with your tactical assessment. Successful
merc players have used the Cutters to attack the roadblock on Turn one
(one shot for each squad). This allows the mercs to fly down the road
and bypass that entire platoon. Then they spend the remainder of their
shots on the other two platoons. Firing on buildings filled with
civilians or random trucks does not help. They have 6 turns and they
can't waste any time or any shots. Since they can't fire from cutter 2
the turn they land troops, they only get 11 shots. The mercs need to be
well coordinated among the players and move quickly.

What's fun about this for me is that I remember the scenario (and much
of the Traveller background) as being black and white. As an adult I
recognize the many shades of gray involved. I remember reading
Broadsword as a teenager, but I never had enough miniatures to pull off
running the scenarios properly. So really, this scenario was about 24
years in the making. I've been actively thinking and preparing for it
for a year.

I'll be running a scenario from the back of the Striker II rules called
"Strength on Strength" at TravellerCon/USA.
http://www.travellercon-usa.com/Info/

Also under consideration for TravellerCon is either running "Broadsword:

The Raid" again, or a sequel.

I also have enough forces to run a Traveller:TNE scenario called
"Freedom's Call", again a scenario from the back of the Striker II
rulebook.

-Mark Kinsey

Tom B wrote:

http://www.stargrunt.ca/scenarios_aar/aar_ECCXI_broadsword/aar_ECCXI_bro