Prev: Re: AARs (was: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there...) Next: Re: AARs (was: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there...)

Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there...

From: Ray Forsythe <erf2@w...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:18:04 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there...

Mike Stanczyk wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Recursive Loop wrote:
>
>> Greetings:
>> Hey, we can whine too. I've never seen "Star Cops" available in the
>> US. Or any number of other flicks or shows that I'd love to get, but
>> which never made it to > "Region 1".
>>
>> FPK3
>
> <RANT> BLOODY BBC!  You put out Star Cops on DVD!  Finally.  Here's my
> mon...  What do you mean it's region 2 encoded?  Can't you just push
the
> region 1 radio button in Windows and produce and American version?
Please?
> Pretty please?
>
> My second favorite show of ALL TIME and I can't buy it on DVD and
watch
> it. I've heard some people say that an out of my region code DVD
player
> is a
> DMCA violation so I've never bothered.  And I don't know if a NTSC DVD

> player
> puts out NTSC video on a PAL DVD...
> </RANT>
>
> Mike

(Not a lawyer, take with grain of salt, if problem persists please
consult your physician.)

Technically, hacking a DVD player that was region coded to bypass the
region coding might be a DMCA violation.  However if the unit is
manufactured such that it can play DVD from all six regions, then you
aren't modifying it to bypass an access control provision, so the DMCA
shouldn't come into it.  It would be just as legal, for example, as
purchasing a region 2 DVD and a PAL TV.

--
Ray Forsythe - erf2@wombatzone.com - www.wombatzone.com