Prev: Re: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual Next: RE: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual

[GZG] Re: [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual

From: Daniel Casquilho <danielc@e...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:28:59 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Subject: [GZG] Re: [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual

>>> For the uneducated in the audience (namely me) how do you do that in
>>> this situation? All the bits worth having (including the production
>>> sites are all in the "built-up" areas) the plains are only just
>>> ticking over and beyond mines there is little out there so I'm not
sure what
>>> you'd gain.
>

>You gain control of the ground...highway systems....rail, etc.
>
>I also mentioned that Kra'Vak use grav pretty much exclusively so you
have to
>shut down the entire 3D area between the cities. I'm probably being
>thick (or exasperating or both) but it still seems to me if there was
an
>alien threat that wasn't bound to transport goods on the 2D road
network
>humans tend to use ....

This exchange has reminded me why one must be careful using present
military logic when discussing a fictional world with different
restrictions and parameters. As Beth has pointed out; adding Grav Tanks
and Grav APCs to the mix changes the impact of controlling roads. Or
control of the space would impact the information flow or many other
differances one could think of. One of the challenges of doing this kind
of article/story in a fictional future is one must make some assumptions
based on tech that does not exist now and thus draw conclusions that may
or may not make sense with present (modern) or past (WWII for example)
military doctrine.

Me, I think Beth has done a great job in her attempts to paint one
possible future situation. And to her point, one must accept that her
fictional account has to assume not all of our present thinking would
work with the fictional tech she has included (or GZG has included) in
the background of the story.

Thanks for the fun and entertainment Beth!

dafrca

Prev: Re: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual Next: RE: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual