Prev: Re: [GZG] Painting tips? Next: [GZG] FT:use of EW in FT games?

Re: [GZG] Acceleration

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:48:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Acceleration

--- laserlight@verizon.net wrote:

> Thinking of using a magnetic or perhaps gravitic accelerator to
> boost a Full Thrust missile, so the main questions are:
>
> b)what kind of physical accelaration can a missile reasonably be
expected to
> stand? I'd like to get a "we can currently build stuff that will take
X g's
> and in theory we can get it up to Y g's".

Sensor and guidance packages can now be designed to survive the shock of
cannon
launch, so a grav or EM driver should be fine over the length of time of
launch
impulse.

For ref.:
According to the Discovery channel show "Futureweapons", Episode "Smart
Weapons" (on last night :) ), the GPS guidance package on the new
"Excalibur"
155mm artillery shell is designed to survive routine launch impulse of
8000g,
and in testing survived overpressure launch impulse of 16000g, while
still
managing to arrive within 2 meters of a target at 20miles/32km range,
even when
launched off-axis by 15 degrees.  Video clips on the Discovery channel
website
(and maybe your TiVo).

Copperhead laser guided warheads and SADARM IR/radar sensors survived
155mm
cannon launch impulse based on 1980's and 1990's technology,
respectively.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Painting tips? Next: [GZG] FT:use of EW in FT games?