Prev: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Next: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:10:32 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 03:59:46PM -0700, Peter Thoenen wrote:

>As for yahoo or google, I am highly against that also.  I get spammed
>more on my google and yahoo mailing lists than I do on my non ones.
>Also to join I believe you have to be a member which I def am not.
>Also the LARGER issue is yahoo (and google assuming) can and will
>shutdown your list with no notice and for no reason and has happened on
>three high volume lists I belong to.

Whereas if Matthew were to lose access to csua for some reason, he'd
still have the subscriber list. If he got bored and went away, I'd have
my copy. Both our archives go back before the csua era...

The major problem with running a forum in parallel is that, if new
people predominantly use the forum rather than the list, that'll
gradually become the place where the "action" is, and the list will die.

(There is apparently forum software which allows access via SMTP or
NNTP, but it's _very_ unusual.)

My experience of lists and fora suggests that people who have something
useful to say are disproportionately represented among those who prefer
lists, so it's not just my self-interest saying that we should keep the
list going. :-)

Prev: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Next: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums