Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Re: Somewhat off topic... Bases. Next: Re: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums and Somewhat off topic... Bases

Re: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

From: "Jaime Tiampo" <fugugaipan@s...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:52:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

> Well, I'll be honest unless U have unlimited space, forum also run
into
> the
> "well we are out of space, so we are deleting all data back to and as
> someone

That can happen. Usually that is with small "rented" space that's
hosting
the forum. I don't know what Jon's service provider has available for
him
but the server that the test forum is on (mine) has gigabytes of space
dedicated to things like this. If we double the usual list trafic, and
add
in the in the test list's traffic (which the forum currently is also
designed for) I figure it'll be about 10 years before that would be an
issue. Space really isn't that much of an issue IF you think long term
and
plan accordingly.

> else mentioned earlier U have the ability to edit and remove/change
your
> posting after it been there.	 With the list, I don't think U can.
And
> to be

No always. It's an option that you can enable or disable. Most boards I
know disable it. You can also set a timer on it so no editing after a
certain period of time.

> honest    if the Mods of a forum, get a on a power trip, they can
> block/delete
> anything they disagree with, and no one can see the otherside.   Here
> years ago, I
> was here for a "Remove JohnA" period and it passed, aMod who disliked
John
> Could ban him at will.    I would prefer the list to remain, but I
> understand
> that "forum are the new way.	 Just don't have to like it..

Correct that can happen. That's a staffing and management issue. To be
honest though a board can get away with very few moderators and if you
choose right, that shouldn't be an issue. If it becomes one the simple
solution is to remove the Mod.

Also Mods don't have to have complete access to the admin features. You
can limit Mod access in a variety of ways allowing them to do only
specific things. I've personally never had a Mod issue on any of my
forums.

Jaime