Prev: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?) Next: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:59:17 -0400
Subject: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

On Jul 7, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Allan Goodall wrote:

> On 7/7/06, Hugh Fisher <laranzu@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I really like the Full Thrust threshold checks as opposed
>> to just about every other critical hit system I've ever
>> seen because they don't occur very often.
>
> I prefer the system in _Silent Death_, myself. It's major failing is
> that critical hits are very predictable.

I prefer any system damage done outside of thresholds to simply be
"leak" damage (i.e. not critical) of a random system here or there.

> One thing that bugs me about Full Thrust is the fact that you can be
> attacked primarily from one direction and lose the weapons on the
> other side of the ship. I know people have PSB to cover it, and I know
> there is no easy fix to the problem.

The most logical PSB comes from the fact that we are simulating a 3D
system in 2D. If we force all port fire to only hit port systems we
are forcing a highly unrealistic Flatland 2D system. Allowing fire
from the port to rake across to damage starboard systems (for
example) implies the ships can be at slight angles to one another, or
"above" and "below" each other in 3-D space.

Noam
-

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
	  -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents,
1899

Prev: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?) Next: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)