Prev: Re: RE: RE: Limits on armour? and Full Steam Next: Re: RE: RE: Limits on armour? and Full Steam

RE: Limits on armour? and Full Steam

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:57:36 +1000
Subject: RE: Limits on armour? and Full Steam

G'day,

Admittedly its been a while since we had a game of FT, but when we were
playing a lot of it heavily armoured ships didn't stand out as winning a
lot and winning/losing at least felt like it came down to the player and
sometimes a bit of dice like. With rerolls penetrating to the hull (and
ptorps etc punching through too) you can see thresholds happening
without having stripped all the armour anyway. I agree running up
against a big NSL SDN can be a major pain, but isn't that why they had
to pay through the nose for them? Derek felt equally frustrated when my
FSE SDN could flit away from my SMs, but his certainly couldn't escape
mine.

Not to be brutal (but what the heck its a wargaming list right?), its
kinda funny to watch these comments come out over the years. Tom finds
the armour a bit stiff, but 2 years back there was a major whinge (can't
remember by who) that you couldn't win with the NSL as they're too slow.
Reading between the lines (when people describe playing preferences)
much of this comes down to taste for different playing styles (fixed vs
floating, Oerjan speeds vs crawling pace, cinematic vs vector). Another
case of not going to please everyone all of the time. Not to say you
shouldn't try new mods to see what happens, see if it suits your gaming
group better, but it may be worth remembering it probably won't be
everyone's cup of tea. Bit like the idea of making more predictable
missile results, some groups dislike the extremes that can crop up,
others relish it.

Then again maybe you shouldn't listen to a gaming group that laughed as
much when I rolled 18 1s as it did when our ESU dice master had a scout
take out an SDN with rerolls.... 47 on the trot ;)

Cheers

Beth

Prev: Re: RE: RE: Limits on armour? and Full Steam Next: Re: RE: RE: Limits on armour? and Full Steam