Prev: Re: RE: Limits on armour? and Full Steam Next: Re: Limits on armour? and Full Steam

Re: Limits on armour? and Full Steam

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:04:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Limits on armour? and Full Steam

One armor idea I floated a while back is to make armor cheaper (like
2 per mass), but have all damage above about 3 points from a single
source (one attacking ship, one fighter group, one missile salvo, one
plasma bolt etc) penetrate to the hull. This simulates directional
coverage of armor (in that it can be locally overwhelmed) without
using armor facings. This makes it more possible that heavily armored
ships like the NSL might actually get destroyed before losing all
their armor, which  has a certain logic to it.

K-guns still penetrate after only 1 point.

On Jul 6, 2006, at 3:51 PM, John K Lerchey wrote:

> If armor is to get a revamp, I'd think more about a complete
> overhaul than limiting the max based on hull row length.

> John K. Lerchey
> Assistant Director for Incident Response
> Information Security Office
> Carnegie Mellon University

>>> similar, where
>>> you
>>> turns
>>> just
>>> from
>>> In some ways, that what it feels like to me against the Markgraf,
>>> even.
>>> Or the Ark Royal.  Average hulls and more than 10% in armour is
>>> brutal
>>> to chew through, and even weak hulls seem incredibly durable with 2
>>> screens and 5% armour.
>>

>> Well....isn't that part of the point of having those passive
>> defenses on the
>> ship?
>>
>> You just need to hit it with heavier damaging weapons (larger the
>> ship,
>> larger the weapon to take it down). Of course then you hit the
>> flip side
>> with weapon vaporizing all the little ships long before little
>> ships can get
>> into engagement range.
>>
>> Mk

---

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"
	  -- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

Prev: Re: RE: Limits on armour? and Full Steam Next: Re: Limits on armour? and Full Steam