Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] I'm back Next: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

RE: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 18:16:35 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

G'day guys,

First up answering Jon's questions.

> 1) The system as it currently stands (FT/FB1/FB2 standard): ie, 1
> thrust point will rotate any ship to any heading in vector movement.

Have played it with every FB fleet and a bunch of home brew besides,
always enjoyed it. Can see why others may want more distinction between
ship abilities though.

> 2) The system used in the EFSB (the Babylon Project FT variant),
> where 1 thrust point only allows rotation by 1 course point (30
degrees).

Have played it, but didn't enjoy it as much as made slow ships sitting
ducks in many ways, just too frustrating and planning intensive.

> 3) 1 thrust point allows rotation by up to 2 course points (60
> degrees).

Have played it with the different FB fleets and a couple of home brews,
not bad. Little more distinction, without crippling slower ships. Do
like the idea of just doubling FT thrust (the option Oerjan spoke of)
though have only played it 3 or so times.

Now skipping over to David G's comments:

> Reading all of this only sort of reinforces my original impressions
> that any form of vector movement is too complicated.

Funnily enough we've actually always found it easier to teach and play
vector than cinematic (even with our kids). I can count on my fingers
the number of games I've had in cinematic and have managed to run into
something in nearly all of them ;)

> My own personal opinion is that cinematic is best and vector limits
the number
> of ships in play because you'll bog down somewhere.

We've quite happily played with anything from 1 to 57 ships per player
(biggest game had well in excess of 200 ships on the floor - table being
too small). Though must admit we're strong adherents of writing squadran
orders and using the strike the colours rule so things don't hang round
for ever. We are also apt to strat limiting order writing time if we hit
a time waster ;)

> Next thing you know we'll be tilting ships on little resin stands
trying to simulate 3D movement

I did it once for FT, now I leave that for a odd AV:T games ;)

Have fun

Beth

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] I'm back Next: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....