Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL - High Guard Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL - High Guard

Re: [GZG] Re: Re: Hello List and some ruminations on FTL

From: Frits Kuijlman <frits@k...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:42:58 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Re: Hello List and some ruminations on FTL

David Billinghurst wrote:
> A thought on VRC space (Fritsspace? :) ), you mention that VRC also
has
> mining operations in (some?) neighboring systems and I notice that
there are
> several stars fairly close to your 'jump' link.  I would suggest that
there

Argh, you actually read the rest of the background:-)

It has been some time since I did work on the background, but I
intentionally kept most of the things like mining operations vague so
they would not get in the way of any scenarios I might come up with.

Concerning costs. The VRC is taking a long term approach, but using
sub-light ships might be a bit too long term. My idea is to use slow
ftl cargo ships and tugs to get stuff into place.

The main cost cutting is done on the security front. Aside from the
really important planets/stations nothing is defended. There are just a
few patrol fleets that visit now and then. If something has happened
there are always stealth buoys from which usefull info can be read so
the VRC knows who to get even with.

This policy might need to be changed though. Getting even with pirates
or other companies/powers/etc. might be possible, but getting even
with the Kra'vak might be a bit more tricky.

Frits

--
Frits Kuijlman					    frits@cistron.nl
Delft, The Netherlands