Prev: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions) Next: RE: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

Re: [FT] squadron suggestions

From: Allan Goodall <awgoodall@g...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:47:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions

On 6/22/05, The GZG Digest <owner-gzg-digest@lists.csua.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:07:06 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Gregory Wong <sax@soundingrocket.com>
>
> I wonder if the game could use a house rule involving ship size
> as a modifier to hit.

I don't care for it myself.

If you add a modifier based on ship's mass, you end up with break
points. Say the modifiers to hit changed every 75 mass points. A ship
of 75 mass points is preferable to a ship of 76 mass points since it
will be harder to hit. This kind of "break point advantage" existed in
FT2 but was eliminated in FT2.5. I'd hate to see it reinstituted.

Also, John Atkinson explained rather well why it doesn't make sense
realistically, unless you want to add a _lot_ of complexity to the
game, and even then you run into granularity issues.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com