Prev: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles Next: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles

Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 21:13:14 +0200
Subject: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles

Flak Magnet wrote:

>As I was saying:  I thought the turn sequence precluded reacting to the

>salvos
>because movement orders are written before the salvo markers are placed
on
>the table.  So how can salvos be used to force an opponent out of
position,
>either they hit and damage him, or he's moved to where he wanted to be
>anyway...

Easy: you know where his ships could move next turn, and you know where
your ships could move next turn, and so does he; you know where you
could
launch your missiles, and so does he; depending on the set-up, you could

even know each others' weapon fire arcs. In other words, both of you
know
where the other would have to move in order to get into an advantageous
position in the direct-fire phase.

Now, if his maneouvre envelope is big enough that you can't cover it
with a
single salvo (and for cinematic-moving ships with thrust-4 or better
engines, it usually is), you aim for the spot which - except for the
missiles - would give him the greatest tactical advantage over you (eg.
where he could get into your (A) arc, or catch your ships in his (F)
arcs).

If he moves to that spot he'll have to eat your missiles before he can
shoot at your ships, giving you at least some compensation for being at
tactical disadvantage in the direct-fire phase; if he *doesn't* go there

your missiles will miss BUT he has given up a chance to get his ships
into
a tactically advantageous position - and surprisingly often he has
allowed
*your* ships to get into a similarly advantageous position relative to
his
while dodging your missiles. It is all about psychology: if he doesn't
want
to get hit by your missiles, the mere *threat* of your missiles can have
significant influence on his manoeuvres <g>

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles Next: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles