Prev: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles Next: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles

Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:34:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles

> Statistically speaking, the salvo missile pack will lock on with about
3.5 missiles and the defender's PDS will shoot down 3.5 missiles,
therefore hitting on average with NONE.  MT missiles, that are shot down
on a 6 on 1D6, will be shot down 17% of the time and hitting 83% of the
time.  Further, the range difference and seeking distance are
drastically different.	MT missiles can hit up to 54mu away (in theory)
and salvo missiles can hit up to a total of 12-18mu, nearly a factor of
2/3 or more LESS.

   Hmm, I don't remember the primary and secondary moves of salvo
missiles, but
 aren't they more than 18 mu combined.	The extended range salvo
missiles
 certainly are.
   In any case as I recall, each PDS will only average ~3/4 of a hit.
It takes
 on average 5 PDS to shoot down the *average* salvo missile group.  It's
rare
 that a ship has that many, let alone enough to handle two or more SM's
at
 once.	On the other hand, a SM can do up to 36 points of damage if
nothing
 shoots at it, which is a huge potential.  They are crazy powerful when
used
 properly.  The best real defense against the SM is a screen of cheap
scout
 ships!  :-)

   grant

Prev: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles Next: Re: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles