Prev: Re: [List] Cherished resources Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: Re: [List] Cherished resources Re: (DS): Systems per Class

Re: [List] Cherished resources Re: (DS): Systems per Class

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:11:14 +0100
Subject: Re: [List] Cherished resources Re: (DS): Systems per Class

On Saturday 24 July 2004 09:54, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
> I'd rather say that they *did* seem 'real' to many gamers when they
were
> published - in the early 1990s. Nowadays however the TV news almost
daily
> show combat action rivalling or surpassing what the DS2 and SG2 rules
> allow... and the TV news rarely show you the bleeding edge of things.
It's
> not just me; more and more players are starting to compare the games
> what they see in the real world and find the games less than
up-to-date.

This is true of pretty much any SF. I've played in a number of SF
games where laser guns have shorter ranges, and are less effective,
than modern day weapons, and where a ship's mainframe is less
capable than my desktop PC.

> And when supposedly super-high-tech SF gadgets like grav vehicles have
an
> all-out (so fast they can't fire on the move) maximum speed about half
that
> of a modern tracked MBT going cross-country with *full* ability to
fire on
> the move, well... :-/

Personally I'd prefer to drop the grav tech (too far fetched for
my tastes) and stick with wheels and tracks. Then think what you
could do with decent AI, automated tanks, genius missile swarms
and whatever other technology we might have in the next 100 years.

--
Be seeing you,				   http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.					jabber: samuel.penn@jabber.org