Prev: Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: Re: (DS): Systems per Class

Re: (DS): Systems per Class

From: Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@j...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:16:48 PDT
Subject: Re: (DS): Systems per Class

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:28:00 +0200 Oerjan Ohlson
<oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> writes:
>Glenn Wilson wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>> >And yes, it means that the second example MICV design on p.12 is
>> >illegal.
>>
>>No, That means (TA DA!) the rules are flawed!
>
>That is not a contradiction, you know.<snip>
True.
<snip>

; IMO GMSs (and SLAMs) should use reloads just like
>artillery
>does).

Maybe true but I hate book keeping individual rounds/salvos for a game
involvinfg company level combat with 15 minute (+/- 14 minute)
rounds/turns.

<snip>
>Pah. I'll bet that in at least 90% of the cases these flaws in various
>vehicle design systems had nothing to do with "compromise" or
>"simplicity",	but everything to do with *ignorance*<snip> do not give
any particularly complete
>picture of realistic restrictions on vehicle design.

Don't hold back, tell it like you see it. <grin>

>Also for the DS2 case, your point about "paper-thin armour" misses the
>target by roughly 180 degrees:

Like my die rolls but go on.

with *today's* *thick* armour
>materials, we
>can stuff more equipment (or men) into a smaller vehicle hull than
>DS2's
>supposedly *more* advanced tech base allows us to do. If future armour
>is
>so much more volume-efficient (and future weapons *don't* advance
>correspondingly in penetrative power and thereby force the vehicle
>designers to keep the armour thickness roughly unchanged), we ought to
>be
>able to put *more* stuff (or men) into future vehicles than we can do
>today
>- not *less*.

Agreed.

>Since DS2 is supposed to be a *generic* game, ie. *not* tied to a
>specific
>background with a specific tech base, it cannot decide "what is the
>baseline (or 'virtual reality' if you prefer) of the game" - because
>making
>that decision destroys its supposedly generic nature; if it is to be
>generic it has to leave that choice to the *player* (or at least give
>him a
>very wide array of choices). And that in turn means that since its
>low-tech
>options are supposed to cover tech similar to or slightly ahead of
>what we
>have today, it really has to to allow the players to re-create today's
>
>modern combat vehicles. At the moment DS2 doesn't. Hopefully DS3 will.

Well we will see.  Assuming it's ever published.

Gracias,
Glenn

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: Re: (DS): Systems per Class