Prev: Re: Liquidating my FT stuff, get it while it's cheap Next: Re: Mixed Tech forces was Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc.

My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:09:43 -0500
Subject: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:35:34 -0500 <warbeads@juno.com> writes:
<snip>
>Fusion powered GRAV or FGEV vehicles

Speed is life and unless you need to 'go into the woods' then these are
the fastest vehicles around.

>4 vehicles to a platoon, 3 Platoons to a Company, 3 Companies to a
>Battalion:

36 combat vehicles plus support units below).  A little light in numbers
you say?  Well, true but the trend has been smaller forces as the
technology increases so I projected this a tad bit smaller then most of
the Cotu groups I have.  What do you guys run in your Battalion sized
units?

>Light Mechanized Reconnaissance Company
>Recon Platoon: Size  2; one FT, GMS/L, PDS/Sup, Superior  ECM
>Scout Platoon:  Size 1; one FT, a second APSW, Superior ECM
>LAT(R) Platoon: Size 2; MDC-2, GMS/H, Superior ECM

This is the "Find them'" Company.  Two different philosophies on the
recon/scout platoons - One is a "spot them before they spot you and run
away like a bat out of proverbial H _ _ _   if they do" and the other
has
a 'sting' in case they can't outrun the people they find.

The LAT(R) provides some extra punch/ambush capability to the Recon
Company and for delaying actions.

>Mechanized Infantry Company
>MICV Platoon: Size 3; FT x 2, GMS/L, PDS/Enhanced, LAD, Enhanced ECM
>APC Platoon: Size 3; FT x 2, MDC-1, PDS/Basic, LAD, Superior ECM
>Assault Rocket Support Platoon: Size 4; SLAM-5, PDS/Enhanced, LAD,
>Enhanced ECM

Your basic "take and hold" Mechanized Infantry force with an integral
support Platoon (12 inches fire on infantry gets - 5 chits - to remove
those pesky GMS/L teams and punch holes in the line infantry FTs,
hopefully.)

>Armored Company
>LAFV Platoon: Size 3, MDC-3, PDS/Superior, LAD, Enhanced ECM

I included this to show one trade off - reduced Firepower/range (54 to
48) to get an LAD integral to the vehicle and increased PDS quality.
Worth it?  Maybe.

>AFV Platoons: Size 3, MDC-4, PDS/Enhanced, Superior ECM
>AFV Platoons: Size 3, MDC-4, PDS/Enhanced, Superior ECM

For those of us who have been stung by "Firer down" more then we like
this is  trade off of reduced chits (less punch for less catastrophic
failures.)

>Company HQ unit (3 of them - one per Company)
>HQ: Size 3, HQ modules (8 cap points), PDS/Superior, LAD, second APSW
>(since HQ module is not a weapon), Superior ECM
>ADS: Size 3, ADS/Enhanced, Enhanced CM
>Mortar section:
>2 x
>Mortar carrier: Size 2, spare Ammo counter, Basic ECM

Mortars at Company level seem advisable for a smaller number of combat
units.	4 Chits allows more smoke counters.)

>Battalion Assets:
>
>Assault Gun Platoon:
>Size 4; DFFG-5, PDS/Enhanced, LAD, Superior ECM

Assigned to those people needed to attack positions units that have had
time to dig in and higher command won't accept going around them.

>Battalion HQ Command:
>HQ; same as Company HQ vehicle
>Guard Tank; Size 4, MDC-5, PDS/Enhanced, LAD
>VTOL (A): Size 2; HEL-3 (Fixed for 6 cap points) and GMS/H
>ADS: SIze 4; ADS/Superior
>HAPC: Size 4; FT x 3, PDS/Superior, LAD, GMS/L, Enhanced ECM

Protection for the Battalion Commander and some possible  long range
support from the VTOL pop-ups and the MDC-5 if they are on the map.

>attached Aero:
>2 x Strike AC: Size 2; HEL-3 and DFO x 1

Mud Movers and across the table sniping/harassing.

>Attached Arty:
>
>3 x SPG: Size 4; Medium Artillery, Extra Ammo load x 2, Superior ECM
>CBR Unit: Size 4; CBR Radar, PDS/Superior, LAD, Superior ECM

Hammers.

>Gracias,
>Glenn

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!