Prev: Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon Next: RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:28:15 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

Ryan Gill schrieb:
> Several vehicles in WWII had water cooled Vickers MGs.
> Vickers light tanks up to the Mk VIb and A13s up to the Mk III.
> Infantry tanks had them as well. The .50 cal Vickers used in
Anti-aircraft
> roles was also water cooled, it was mostly a naval mount however.

The Russians also used water-cooled Maxims in AA mounts.

> I'd say that the Water Cooled MG didn't stay in use because of
weight,
> rather it was replaced in the ground/portable role because of
> weight and in the emplaced/vehicle/ship mounted anti-aircraft role
because
> of size of projectile/range issues.

Lots of armies (including the Bundeswehr) still use 7,62 mm or similar
calibres for vehicle AA MGs. I rather think that the AA or general
vehicle MG roles rarely call for sustained fire.

I suspect that water-cooled vehicle weapons were mainly used because
they were the standard weapon in the army at the time.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon Next: RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon