Prev: Re: [FT] Avalanche's Imperium Next: Re: [FT] Avalanche's Imperium

Re: [FT] Avalanche's Imperium

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 07:58:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Avalanche's Imperium

> > Why follow the US Korea/Vietnam era incompetent
> > draft policies.  Have them
> > stay in the service tell it's won...
>
> That's fine for big cataclysmic conflicts like WWII.
> For any other point on the spectrum of conflict that's
> impractical.	The US involvement in VN spanned 20
> years.  Are you seriously suggesting drafting people
> for what I consider the length of a career?

Gee, if we refused to let people out tell it was over, maybe we would
have
taken the whole mess serriously enough to either not get involved
(realize
it wasn't worth it before we went in), or fought it with a real national
effort to win (to bring the boys home so they would be there for 20
years).
What we did was to "manage" the conflict (try to keep any major
disasters
from happening while keeping expenses low enough to not require economic
sacrifices from the civilians back home, and all of this was so the
poloticians could be re-elected).  It didn't work.

> > Well, just as soon as you get about two dozen high
> > end servers, a couple of
> > hundred programers, designers, economists,
> > mathmaticians, statisticians,
> > etc., to build this game; I'm sure it will be really
> > awesome.  But seeing
> > how I don't have the hardware to play it, I think
> > I'll just stick with games
> > that abstract all those things into something I can
> > manage.  I.E., all that
> > stuff is great, but what's the point if it is so
> > unplayable that it takes
> > two days to game 15 seconds...
>
> My point precisely.  Inadequately modelling real-world
> concerns makes a boring game--if I want that level of
> abstraction, I'll play chess.  Or maybe Command and
> Conquer would be more appropriate comparison.

You have to find a level of abstraction you enjoy.  Somehow I really
doubt
you would want to play a game modeled to the depth you say want.  It
would
take a network of servers to run, and would cost a fortune to make, and
days
to play a few seconds.	You still ought to look at Imperial StarFire.
It
has a lot of what you say want.  Enjoy the paper work.

ias

Prev: Re: [FT] Avalanche's Imperium Next: Re: [FT] Avalanche's Imperium