Prev: Re: Turning Point Next: Racing Rules

Re: Afghan Pics

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:44:17 -0400
Subject: Re: Afghan Pics

At 2:46 PM -0700 9/5/02, Brian Burger wrote:
>Forget mocking the French for their shorts, what about the ability of
>British troops (SAS especially) to look nearly as bandit-like as some
of
>the locals? :) Even the British Army regular guys 'go native' way more
>than anyone else! (There's the one pic of a helicopter full of Regular
>Army troopies, at least half of whom seem to be wearing burnooses...)

I'd expect that it probably helps out a bit when it comes to chatting
with the locals and blending in. Not that the locals can't tell who's
who. The SBS troop with Burnoose, WWII pattern T-handle Shovel and
Rifle is pretty interesting.

>(Minor historical question: why isn't the Brit Army the "Royal Army"
when
>the UK's Navy, Artillery and even Air Force are all "Royal"?)

Because the Army was founded by a man who wasn't Royal. That'd be
Oliver Cromwell. (that's how I understand it)

--
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: Turning Point Next: Racing Rules