Prev: Re: 2nd and 3rd rate powers Next: Re: COLD STEEL!

Re: Naval Rules

From: "Robert Minadeo" <raminad@e...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:25:49 -0400
Subject: Re: Naval Rules

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@webone.com.au>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 8:43 AM

> From: <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de>
>
> > Examples ? I am on the lookout for fast-flowing naval rules.

Delurking for a moment;

Check out "Sea Wars" by A & A Games Engineering in the UK.

Covers WWII and WWI in the North Sea with the data provided in the book.
Gives rules for figuring out the stats for other ships, aircraft, and
weapons.

The idea is to put players in the role of Fleet commander rather than
Ship's
Captain.

Ships are grouped and act in divisions, although a division may have
only a
single ship in it. Turns represent 15 minutes of real time. Damage is
against systems.

A controversial aspect is the morale rules. These really serve to add
friction to the player's job as commander but some folks have complained
that they don't think their Captains would have behaved that way in
reality.
I don't know. Real ships have been known to miss a signal or withdraw
from
an action with what may have seemed a critical problem to them but in
hindsight was not.

My favorite naval rules by far and I've played most of them at one time
or
another.

They have a set geared towards smaller actions as well where each player
could command a single ship and have an enjoyable game. Can't recall the
name though.

Don't have the URL handy but a web search or the Miniatures Page ought
list them.

Prev: Re: 2nd and 3rd rate powers Next: Re: COLD STEEL!