Prev: Re: Naval Rules Next: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds

Re: COLD STEEL!

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:56:21 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: COLD STEEL!

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 DAWGFACE47@webtv.net wrote:

> THIS is a scenario idea that is definately unbalanced  in  firepower
and
> numbers  a as far as	the  escaping unit is concerned.
>
> but then actual combat situations  are rarely balanced. . . .

I just had to laugh - this scenario reminds me greatly of something that
came up in a Market Garden megagame we ran a few years back - involving
approx 100 players manning the various HQ's.

XXX corps had set up HQ just south of Eindhoven, in a recently liberated
wood. When the front had pushed up nearly to Arnhem they felt safe
enough
to send the Princes Irene Brigade (Dutch commandoes who were
handling security) forward to Eindhoven.

Meanwhile, on the flanks, a German Kampfgruppe had been on the run after
having been smashed through by the british advance. they found safety in
nearby woods, and even managed to resupply at the ammo dump of another
German unit that had been obliterated. Then, they decided to make their
way back to German lines through these woods - suddenly coming upon a
mass
of antenna, tents, jeeps and other HQ paraphenalia. They launched an
impromptu attack, killed a good few of the XXX corps staff, and then got
away leaving massive disruption behind.

One of the XXX corps officers escaped, jumoped in a jeep, and raced for
101 airborne (I think - could have been 82nd, as I always confuse the
two)
HQ for infantry support. Just when he got there, a major german
counterattack was launched and took the position. The poor guy got
killed
at that occasion.

Double blind map games sure can lead to interesting surprises!

Cheers,

   Derk

Prev: Re: Naval Rules Next: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds