Prev: UNSC TO&E Next: Website cleaning & links

Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 02:39:56 -0500
Subject: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

>3) Why can't I call artillery down on a grid
>reference? Obviously the game doesn't have
>rules, but pre-registered fire points on GPS'd
>map coordinates hardly seems impossible
>today. And if we assume you can see anything
>on the board from recon drones, satellites, etc,
>and you don't actually need to do spotting of
>units and then IDing and then artillery calls, then
>we'd quickly see the force compositions of DS
>forces being ten hover jeeps or grav bikes with
>artillery spotters and a huge whopping pile of
>artillery (at least for defenses or meeting
>engagements). Artillery alone if used in quantity
>is effective enough to ruins someone's day.

The first target of artillery is the other guys artillery. The whole
idea
in the Paladin version of the M109 (US 155 SP Arty.) is to stop,
fire and go ASAP before you become a target. If you've got allot
of artillery that is not moving around QUICKLY you will probably
find your artillery has a very short life expectancy.

Also remember that one of the most dangerous jobs in any army is
that of the FO (your artillery spotters). The FOs on the other side
and even  the guy who has the next most dangerous job (sniper)
 is out to get him.

As a side note.

In the SciFi  ground games I assume that anything that comes into
the combat zone that is over 25 feet off the ground is dead. This
includes flying drones near ground level up to fixed orbit satellites.
If a space ship comes into a low orbit and stays there (as opposed
to a single pass and then get out) it to will be reclassified as space
junk shortly.

The only thing that will allow you to survive over  25 feet is:
      1) You are not in the combat zone but drop into a quiet spot
	   and move there.
      2) You are extremely stealthy and you aren't seen. Please note
	   that sending out transmissions (i.e.. recon drone) is not
stealthy.
      3) You are erratic (change directions often and somewhat randomly)
	   and lucky.
       4) You own the space down to zero feet and can quickly kill
anything
	    that doesn't agree with you..

Scott Siebold

Prev: UNSC TO&E Next: Website cleaning & links