Prev: UNSC Company TO&E Next: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

UNSC TO&E

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:39:04 -0400
Subject: UNSC TO&E

Mortar size:

Normal platoon mortars used to be 60mm.
They're about a three man carry, and if you
want to move much ammo, more than that.
That would be a light mortar - good for some
suppressive effects and some smoke. An 82mm
is what I'd consider a medium mortar (up
through about 100mm) and they're pretty
weighty.... I'm not sure how many folks it takes
to move, but I'm betting 4 or more (if it isn't
self propelled). If you get up towards 120mm,
you're looking at heavy mortars I'd guess.
(That's just my WAG). I can't see heavy mortars
even being considered and even medium ones
seems a bit much, though they would fit with
some TO&Es. Depends if you want salvo count
or salvo weigh - that's a doctrinal point.

I'm thinking that if you want company mortars,
you might manage 2 space age (with lighter
barrels and baseplates) 82mm mortars. But I'd
limit the salvoes more if you give these rather
than 60mm mortars. With 60mm, I'd guess I'd
give maybe 3-4 salvoes to a 4 man crew. With
an 82mm, it'd be more like 2.

As for the logistics point Adrian mentions, it
makes sense to me to have minimal logistics...
these are MARINEs (Marines Always Ride In
Navy Equipment). The Navy and the VTOLs will
be their source of logistics and casevac (one of
the classic dangers of heliborne operations).

As to medics, I prefer 2 man teams because if
casualties have to be moved, one man isn't
(really) enough.

I agree with Adrian on the SPW/AGL thing.
Either cut SPW impact to d12 no star or dump
the AGL as it doesn't then make much sense.

I'd keep your squads small. They are a little
more brittle, but UNSC has hardshell armour
and your boys are pretty heavy in the FP sense.
And it fits with the dinky AV-6 model. (Adrian is
right that 8 man squads are less brittle, but the
AV-6 isn't a terribly big model and you've
already got a lot of FP in a squad).

This force will be potent. But then, as
Humanity's Last, Best Hope to Stop The
Bugs(TM), they should be :)

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: UNSC Company TO&E Next: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!