Prev: Re: OK, you guys win. . . Next: Re: OK, you guys win. . .

Re: [DSII] Vehicle Construction Questions

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 20:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DSII] Vehicle Construction Questions

--- CS Renegade <njg@csrenegade.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I've had a look around several of the FAQs on line,
> but I haven't seen any clarification for any of the
> following. If they do exist in any published FAQ or
> are in fact self-evident from the rules themselves,
> please don't hesitate to point me at the page in
> question.

I will.  When I get back at my rulebook which is back
home.  I'm on leave, and while I'm going back to the
barracks Monday (for no more than 6 hours, and that's
IF I go to sleep), I'm immediately heading out where
there is absolutely no e-mail until at least Friday.
So, shooting from the hip (feel free to quibble):

> 1) Rounding generally isn't a problem, but there are
>    some situations where it is called for. The only
>    example (DS2 pg 52) rounds up where I would
>    expect it to, i.e. the fraction is .5 or greater.
>    Are fractions always rounded up, or rounded to
>    the nearest number?

Keep fractions to the end of the design process and
then round to nearest number.  That's what I do.
Rounding conventions aren't covered in the rules.
Shouldn't be enough to throw a scenario.

> 2) Can grade 0 armour support ablative or reactive
>    surfaces? (I find the latter very difficult to
>    believe.) Front armour is reduced one grade to
>    represent side, rear or top armour. What happens
>    to 1A or 1R armour?

No.  And by the rules, it's treated as 0 Armor which
means it can be punched by small arms.	I generally
treat 1 armor as 1 armor all around, but that's
definitely an optional house rule.

> 3) Stealth and ECM are purchased _after_ BPV is
>    calculated. Is this correct?

Eh?  Not sure what you mean here.  Not AFAIK.

> 4) According to DS2 pg 12, Class 6 artillery can
>    include mass driver guns. Pg 37 then goes on to
>    state that mass drivers are rated class 6 rather
>    than 4 because of their higher rate of fire.

This is color.

>    Do MDC engine requirements apply to artillery?

Nope.

>    Have the rules traded off the engine requirements
>    for a system that is bulkier than it would be?

You may assume so.  However, it is also treated as
heavy artillery for purposes of fire effects.

> 5) The SP artillery example on DS2 pg 12 puts a
>    class 6 artillery system on a class 4 chassis.
>    Is this correct? If so, is capacity the only
>    limit for artillery pieces on light vehicles?

Yes.  As a matter of fact, officially it's the only
limit for any weapons IIRC.

>    What about artillery counting toward the DS2
>    pg 11 maximum number of weapons on a chassis?

Yes, it does.

> 6) The Weapons Fit Limitations rules on pg 11
>    imply that the decision to install a turret
>    is taken when the primary weapon is selected.
>    The second example on pg 12 outlines a turret
>    being fitted for a secondary weapon. Is the
>    example valid? (If it is, I'm quite happy with
>    the principle that the largest non-GMS direct-
>    fire weapon occupying a turret determines its
>    capacity cost.)

Yes, yes, and yes.

>    The example data card on pg 55 specifies a
>    turret mount for a PDS. Is this relevant for
>    ADS, PDS or LAD? If so, how? What "class" are
>    these systems for the purposes of turret
>    capacity cost, if they are the largest / only
>    system in the turret?

No, the PDS is always assumed to be 360 degrees.  One
presumes that the turret notation is a reminder to the
player to use his PDS in all directions.  No matter
where you put it, PDS costs the same capacity.

>    Although there is no cost difference placing
>    GMS in a turret rather than on a fixed mount,
>    are they still restricted to the limted arc of
>    fire if fitted on fixed mounts?

GMS are presumed to be capable of all-around fire and
do not cost extra capacity to place in a turret.

> 7) Is it permitted to install ADS and PDS on the
>    same vehicle? How about multiples of these

Yes.

>    systems? (And on a combat note, what does pg 31

No rule against it.  AFAIK.

>    mean by "missile"? Do we include HAR? SLAM? IVAR
>    even though there's no "missile" in that name?)

GMS systems only, No, No, No

> 8) ADS and PDS count toward the number of weapons
>    mounted on a chassis. What about LAD? Can
> multiple
>    LAD be carried on a chassis?

Yes, and Yes.

> 9) The calculation for backup systems includes
> missile
>    guidance. Are we supposed to look at the costs of
>    missiles and separate out the costs of the
> missile
>    itself from the guidance pack? (If so, I reckon
> 10
>    points for GMS/L and 15 points for GMS/H.)

Nope.  You're supposed to calculate for the whole
package.  The thing is, it's only the guidance that's
knocked out by the systems down chit.  If it were the
missles themselves, the whole vehicle would turn
inside out, and so a hit on the spare missles is
represented by a boom chit.  :)  At least, I think
that's what Jon was thinking.

John

Prev: Re: OK, you guys win. . . Next: Re: OK, you guys win. . .