Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: Enemy Appreciations and SOPs

Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:23:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

At 9:42 AM +0100 6/24/02, Bif Smith wrote:
> [...]

Its my understanding that the Royal Marine detachments on South
Georgia island were deployed on a headland or some similar type of
jetty. An argentine frigate or DD (passed close enough to the jetty
that the detachment of 20 or so marines was able to take it under
fire from smaller arms, heavy weapons and MG fire. The combination of
rocket, guided missile and MG fire pretty much worked the frigate
over.

 From http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/South-Georgia.html

Trombetta now realized that there was in fact a very healthy British
military presence at Grytiken and ordered Alfonso to bring Guerrico
closer in and  to bombard King Edward Point. The Argentines now knew
where Mills and his Marines where positioned and opened fire with
Guerrico's 100 mm semi-automatic gun. But even at maximum depression
the shells smashed into the scree behind the plateau. Frustrated,
Alfonso brought Guerrico closer in, broadside to the Royal Marines.
Mills waited until the frigate was 550 meters from his position, then
ordered his men to open fire with every weapon they had. A Type A69
frigate is a very big target and the Guerrico shook under the impact
of thousands of rounds ripping though her thin structure.

Marine David Combes, who was normally the ships steward on Endurance
now placed his name in naval history books by firing his Carl Gustav
84 mm anti tank weapon at the Guerrico.  The Royal Marines watched as
the 10lb projectile staggered across the waves and then, on it's last
legs, smashed into Guerrico's hull just above the waterline, sending
up a column of white water.  They then heard a loud rumble come from
inside the ship. Below decks Argentine damage control parties
struggled to stop the flow of water that was now coming though the
hole.

The explosion killed one Argentine sailor and wounded several others.
It also destroyed many electrical cables, including the ones used to
power the 100 mm gun's traverse mechanism making the gun useless at
this close range. The aft 40 mm was still working until Marines
Parsons and Chubb cut down the Argentine gun crew with their LMG.
Alfonso was having a hard time trying to manoeuvre the big ship
quickly inside the small bay. He knew he had to get out of the bay
quickly. As the ship came about, Sergeant Major Leach lying on a
table up stairs in Shackleton House, took his time and fired 15 shots
into the bridge with his sniper rifle. This caused panic and
confusion as officers and sailors trying to steer the ship had to
take cover. With the ship turned,  Alfonso steered the ship out of
the bay, but she had to run the gauntlet of fire from the Royal
Marines again before getting out of range. Marine Combes let go
another 84 mm at the frigate that smashed into the hull below the
Exocets. The Marines also managed to hit Guerrico at least twice with
66 mm rockets. Corporal Peters was severely wounded in the arm while
standing to fire his 66 mm. The rifle shot had come from one of the
Argentine Marines in the buildings near Shackleton House.

Guerrico finally made her way out of range.  Later an Argentine
officer counted over 1,000 hits to her structure. The Royal Marines
had taken on a warship, and won the fight. While

Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |

Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: Enemy Appreciations and SOPs