Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: JUNGLE PATROL

Enemy Appreciations and SOPs

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:24:13 -0400
Subject: Enemy Appreciations and SOPs

Beth,

Think of it this way. Some militaries (most good
ones) train their soldiers in lots of situations
and drill them in varying scenarios. Why? To
give them the ability to think on their feet and
lead when the "plan" ends up not working out.

Intelligence (and I include in that appreciations
of enemy tech, doctrine, and fighting ability)
only goes so far. It gives you a ballpark of what
your enemy might do. Your own doctrine gives
you some idea of how to counter these
weaknesses or strengths should they arise.

If you blindly assume the enemy will do what
you expect (hello, General Custer), without using
your own scouts effectively, you'll get what you
deserve. If you are overconfident because you
believe in your own superiority and lack the
ability to deal with real stresses,  you'll tend to
fall apart at key moments (hello Lt. Gorman).

A good, flexible commander has intelligence to
tell him who he thinks he'll be fighting, how the
other side usually fights, and his own SOPs and
doctrine to tell him what he can probably do to
that enemy to take him apart. But the good
commander also uses his own recce elements
to good effect (and any ELINT/SIGINT/IMINT) to
determine if the enemy is doing what he is
expected to, if the enemy is the unit(s)
expected, and to keep track of any "other
factors" not yet accounted for.

By doing so, he doesn't get himself locked into
a particular appreciation of the enemy
prematurely. And a good commander, if he
discovers thing have changed, can change plan
in mid-stride and have some reasonable chance
of pulling it off (assuming he has good troops
under him.... good commanders would have a
hard time saving poorly trained troops).

War by doctrine alone probably mostly went
away after the meat grinder battles of WW1. We
still see it rear its head here and there, and
misappreciation of the enemy sometimes
happens (though if I had to misappreciate I'd
rather overestimate than underestimate). And
of course, the closer the enemy is to your own
level of skill (or God Forbid, if he's better), then
he'll be trying to insure that you don't see what
he's actually doing or that you see something
you might be anticipating while he actually does
something else. It's all a game of think and
counter think and intelligence. But your local
SOPs and various training drills give you an
enhanced chance to respond to a sudden
change in the situation.

Remember, as the famous general Kochte once
said "No battle plan survives contact with dice".

T.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: JUNGLE PATROL