Prev: RE: Re: Re: [OT] Completely off-topic and useless celebrating re: World Cup Next: Re: [OT] Completely off-topic and useless celebrating re: World Cup

RE: Re: Re: [OT] Completely off-topic and useless celebrating re: World Cup

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:28:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Re: Re: [OT] Completely off-topic and useless celebrating re: World Cup

--- Ted Arlauskas <ted@naxera.com> wrote:

> John - You're a braver man than I.  I took two weeks
> of
> leave doing the "Griswald's Tour of Europe" in
> February.
> I tried to play it safe after 9/11 and be low key.
> Whenever someone asked me where I was from I
> replied,
> "Canada."  I figured, "Who would be pissed at
> Canadians?!"

1)You're kidding yourself.  Americans are about as
obvious as a brass band accompanied by strippers.

2)I had really short hair and (so I'm told) unconcious
body language that shouts "MILITARY".  Canada does not
maintain a real huge military presence i Germany.

3)This was before 9/11

4)I've never been worried about people being pissed at
me.  Most Europeans I met were extremely pleasant and
friendly, with the exception of those fascist pigs in
some Brit police force who confiscated my leatherman.
It seems you have to meet stricter standards when
LEAVING a Brit train station than when entering a
German, French, or Belgian one.  And a 2" blade on a
leatherman doesn't pass.  The only problems I ever had
were in Giessen, and then it was a matter of "Ooops,
made a wrong turn, too many Turks in this
neighborhood, I'm leaving."

John