Prev: RE: Re: [FT] Fighters, - this time its not the balance argument! Next: Re: Per request: Varient Alien Fighters was: [FT] Tech Trees

Re: For Beth

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 19:02:30 +0100
Subject: Re: For Beth

In message <3CD9E07E.12504.83F69C@localhost>
	  "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@magma.ca> wrote:

> 1. let PDS attack every squadron that
> attacks.
>
> 1a. if so, adjust PDS to-hit *down* so ships
> don't become
> invincible

Hmm... I don't really like this one, for a variety of reasons

> 2. increase the points and mass up the
> wazoo.

Not the MASS I think.

> 2a. Or tamper with requirements for
> carriers, not fighters,
> to avoid soap bubbles.
A possibility
> 2b. Make a non-linear scaling for fighter
> costs

Tricky to implement.

> > 3. let class-2 and above take pot shots at
> any range
> 3a. Randy's Proposal: let bigger weapons shoot
> at "coasting" (nonCEF expending) fighters
> 3b. Like 3a, only I think big weapons should be
> limited to killing one fighter each, or if you want
> to roll all the dice together, maybe they should
> fire as PDS. (Less effect than dedicated PDS/B-
> 1, though at range)

Well, IIRC, there was a proposal (cant remember when) to let any class
of Beam Battery shoot at fighters, but only in their extreme (1 dice)
range band, say needing a 6 or a 5-6 to kill 1 fighter (maybe with
re-rolls), with something similar for other weapons?

> 4. adjust the effectiveness of PDS to close
> to scatterpack

Umm.. do scatterguns get upgraded as well?
		^^^^

> 5. shoot whoever started the thread.
> 5a. Shoot those complaining about the thread,
> since they were probably complaining about the
> flamewars which were our previous situation....
> <g>

You have three possible solitions;

1) Shoot the person that started the thread
2) Shoot the people who complain about the thread
3) Shot _everybody_

(inspired by Blackadder II)

> 6. reduce the endurance of fighters
> 6a. charge endurance for every turn
> fighters are in flight,
> not just combat and secondary moves
> 6b. charge endurance for:
>	- evasive movement
>	- secondary afterburn movement
>	- dogfights
>	NOT for coasting
>	NOT for attacks IF you're already
> paying for evasive movement that turn
> This kind of goes with 3a or 3b.
>
> 7. Allow mixed tech (plasma, scatterpacks)
> as a way of balancing fighters

Well, there are some human tech equivalents of these in the WDA

> 8. Status Quo
>
> 9. Reduce Fighter attack damage to
> perhaps equivalent to a PDS instead of a B1

Maybe, or a 'halfway house' approach?

> 10. Limit fighters attacking per ship to X
> (6? some function of mass?)
> 10a. Limit fighters attacking per arc
>
> Of course, there are probably mix and
> match options, and some are probably
> dependent on others. So you've probably
> got at least 30 games to test various
> feasible permutations... Fill Yer Boots!
>
> I think in eyeballing these things, we want
> to ensure:
>
> If fighter points don't change:
> It would be ideal if small fighter groups are
> made a bit more useful, large fighter
> swarms are made a bit less useful (or a lot
> less useful all at once).

Might be worth thinking of alternative uses for fighters - scouting
maybe?

> If the points values change, then there may
> be no need to change any rules. Of course,
> both may need to change.
>
> It would a nice plus to introduce some
> more tactical choices for the players (for
> example coast/don't coast, which Multi-
> Role packet to kit my fighter out with, etc).

Could be a god idea.

> It would be nice to make FB1 designs more
> well balanced even against other FB1
> designs.
>
> New (well I think) thought:
> Instead of wrangling over the fix/don't
> fix/oh-my-god-carrier-are-useless
> thinking.... why don't we think about it this
> way - what do we want to model?
>
> A) Carrier Ops like those in the modern day
> - multi role fighters, carriers far apart
> (probably off board) and the game is
> defending against fighter strikes often with
> massed fighters.
>
> B) Standard game with carriers on the
> board, standard ship types, one off play,
> where we want fighters to be roughly point
> costed correctly.
>
> C) WW2 Carrier games where fighters and
> bombers and whatnot were more
> specialized (probably didn't change from
> one role to another in 15 mins)
>
> D) Anime where a fighter squadron can
> take apart a small fleet...
>
> By thinking in "model" or "genre" terms, we
> could define a number of "rules mixes" and
> costing modifiers. These could appear as
> short entries in FB3/FT3/somewhere???
> and thus let Ryan play his game, Eric play
> his, me play mine, etc. The "standard
> rules" would fit definition B above but there
> isn't a really good reason not to at least
> give the nod to other types of gaming
> unless their is a space crunch. (no puns
> intended)
>
> Tomb.
> Thomas Barclay
> Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
> Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
>
> No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
> -- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

I definately agree with the last bit.

Charles