Prev: Re: For Beth Next: RE: RE: Re: [FT] Fighters, - this time its not the balance argument!

Re: Per request: Varient Alien Fighters was: [FT] Tech Trees

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 19:11:55 +0100
Subject: Re: Per request: Varient Alien Fighters was: [FT] Tech Trees

In message <20020508215030.GB6148@firedrake.org>
	  Roger Burton West <roger@firedrake.org> wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Charles Taylor
<nerik@monkslode.fsnet.co.uk> -----
[snip]

Thanks Roger, I though my memory was playing tricks on me again!

> Well, I have considered Kra-Vak fighters that are equivalent to human
> torp fighters, but with KV-style weapons (a sort of mini-MKP pack).
>
> Ok - heres what I came up with:
>
> Vo'San ("Hunter Sliver of Mother") MKP fighter UN codenam KANE
>
> Attacks, vs. ships can attack with a mini-MKP pack, range 6 mu, roll
> 1d6: 1-3 = no hits, 4-5 = 1 hit, 6 = 2 hits (no re-rolls).
> Each hit does 3 damage points, 1 to armour (if any), remainder to
hull.
> Can only be used once - then the fighter must return to its carrier to
> re-arm.
>
> Against fighters it has only a light weapon, kills 1 fighter on a roll
> of 6 (no re-rolls) c.f. attack fighter, torpedo fighter.
Thinking about it, I'm tempted to remove the secondary armanent - it
goes in, does the mission, then goes home to recover.

> Cost: depends on how we factor the Ro'Kah effect, I've considered 3
>
> 1) The normal Ro'Kah effects apply - making these extremely effective,
> so cost should he high (say 8-10 per fighter)
Thinking about it, _no_, and if it was like this, the cost should be
even higher.
> 2) Due to the 1-shot nature of the weapon, the Ro'Kah rage only
slightly
> affects the weapon (say, +1 to the d6 roll, so 1-2 = no hits, 3-4 = 1
> hit, 5-6 = 2 hits), but still has its normal detrimental effects
> (expends all remaining CEF). Cost = 6-7 per fighter.
Say Cost = 8 per fighter
> 3) Assume that pilots of these are trained to automatically Ro'Kah,
with
> the effects being factored into the stats - Cost = 5-6 per fighter.
>
> A varient of this is this:
>
> Ti'San ("Fight Sliver of Mother") Scattergun Fighter UN Codenam KUL
>
> Functionally this is a Ko'San hull with the mini-MKP pack replaced
with
> a mini-scattergun. The scattergun is functionally identical to the
> ship-mounted one (its mass was reduced by making it fixed-mount, as it
> is aimed by manoeuvering the fighter).
>
> Effect: the fighter can make 1 attack that is identical to a
scattergun
> attack in all respects (except that its range cannot exceed 6 mu in
any
> circumstance). Once used, the scattergun can only be re-loaded upon
> returning to the fighters carrier. Although it can be used against
> ships, it is intended for use against fighters, missiles, etc.
> These fighters are often deployed as 'roving scatterguns' providing
> cover to fleet ships whose own scatterguns are insufficient.
>
> Again, the cost depends on how we factor the Ro-Kah effect, with the
> same 3 options:
> 1) as 1) above, same cost.
Again, remove this option.
> 2) similar to 2) above, Ro'Kah adds +1 to the scattergun attack roll
> (whatever it is being used on), Cost = 6-7 per fighter.
> 3) as 3) above.

For both, I'm currently torn between options 2 & 3.

[snip other KV fighters]