Prev: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points Next: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points

Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:01:53 -0400
Subject: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

At 1:12 PM -0400 4/10/02, Indy wrote:

>Right! I thought there might have been more than simply changing out
>the transmission, but my brain wasn't fully engaged (obviously!). My
>mind just isn't "geared" to thinking about the mechanics of engines
>and stuff (the pun...sorry; it just spilled out). But this just goes
>to show simply changing out the armor amounts isn't going to allow
>dramatic increases from "slow" to "fast" mobility levels. I'm pre-
>suming the whole difference between "slow" and "fast" takes into
>account all these little details too small for the game to worry about.

The thing to realize is that tanks are meant to be able to climb
obstacles, obstructions and grades that would stop most vehicles.
That component in mind means that your gear ratios down low are going
to be amazingly low. Even some wheeled vehicles are like this. My
ferret which has a 4.25 litre engine and weighs 4.5 tons when combat
loaded, has a max speed of 50 mph in a straight line. 5 gears with
the 1st one so low you usually start out in 2nd. So really you've got
4 relatively close spaced gears for moving around. Tanks are similar
in their requirements (more so due to the need for additional torque
what with a tracked drive train), but have additional sizing issues
in the transmissions or final drives for the ability to neutral steer
as well as brake steer.

If you ever have a chance, sit down and read through some books that
discuss the design of tanks and the various changes over the course
of said design. You get some amazing insights into the difficulties
one encounters.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points Next: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points