Prev: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points

Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:47:05 -0700
Subject: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

John Crimmins wrote :

>Nailed it.  That's exactly the kind of approach that I would think
best,
>and it would
>be easy to include a lot of different...well, call them "Genre
Templates"
>in the book.
>One or two pages each, listing the design assumptions and limitations
for a
>variety
>of different genres, including the Tuffleyverse, a Mecha universe, and
some
>pop-culture
>(and gaming) settings with the serial numbers filed off.
>
>It would be in these Genre Templates that things like weapon
limitations
>and vehicle
>capacities would be defined; the Tuffleyverse template would restrict
>flyers to a maximum
>armor level of 3 (or whatever), forbid Mecha larger than size Class I,

>forbid Powerguns
>entirely, and so on and so forth.
>
>This strikes me as the best way to make the maximum number of current
>players happy
>*and* draw in a nice crop of new players.

Sounds like a large number of listers are in agreement on this point.  I

also realized another advantage is the ability to customize not only
vehicles, but weapons systems (Someone else probably has already
mentioned
this, but in case someone else missed it as wide as I.....).  For the
point
system, you could include tables for calculating the values for
scratch-built weapons by taking into account range, damage vs
vehicles/vs.
Infantry, defenses against it (PDS,etc.), special abilities (Top attack;
useability, indirect fire, etc.), can it fire repeatedly or is it
necessary
to require reloads, etc.   The rules could give a few "Sample" weapons,
and
each "Genre Template" could include not only the capacity requirements
for
it's specific weapons, but also their specific point cost.  Thus you
could
give any historical OR future/fictional weapon a point value.

3B^2

3B^2

Prev: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points