Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: Re: DS3 points systems and features

SAWS and point systems

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 18:32:26 -0500
Subject: SAWS and point systems

1) Point systems:
Yes, a capacity-only point system could work, but it needs a mechanism
for miniaturization to allow construction of minis that don't match...

Cap only system is one way to go (hard to get right), points only is
another (hard but not as hard to get right), and cap + points is (as OO
pointed out) harder by x4 to get right.

2) John said:
Depends on the ammo.  The "advanced" rifles (binary
propulsion, ETC, Liquip prop, etc) or heavy rifles
(7.62 NATO) would be d10, but small rounds (7.62x39,
5.56 NATO, etc) would be d8.

[Tomb]
Yes, agreed though I was suggesting that the LSAW has impact to match
the rifle (which, it it happens to be an AAR is nominally D10). If you
have older or different rounds that are d8, then a matching tech saw
firing the same round should be. (BTW a point no one has mentioned is if
an LMG liberates more FPS at the barrel than a rifle - the same round
out of two different barrels may have different performance stats, but
the granularity is probably sub-SG level).

John further said (re HMG):
> 5)HMG (Battletech Kurita HMG, etc)
> D12 FP (or 2d8), IMP 2d6 or 2d8

I like Imp d12*, HMMV.	But I'd also say FP d10 since
they have a lower ROF.

[Tomb] Tried that two. Prefered a little higher impact.... my D12s tend
to end up on 1. :)
But 2d6* wouldn't be bad. Or 2d8* or D16*. RoF D10 would be fine if all
that was represented in FP is ROF. If so, why do HAMRs etc. have high
FP? FP represents both. D10 works, but so does D12.

John further said:
> 6) Minigun (Gatling SAW)
> D12 FP D10 IMP

Really that's more appropriate for a vehicle-mounted
rotary LMG/MMG.

[Tomb] Ummm, as a rule I'd have to agree. Except for J. Ventura in
Predator. Or should I say "Governor Jesse Sir!"? :)

Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: Re: DS3 points systems and features