Prev: Re: [DSII] Heresey Next: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon@f...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:15:16 -0700 (MST)
Subject: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

> >Furthermore, that size/stealth/capacity step allows for a good means
> >of describing the vehicle.
>
> If you want to allow for sizes to help in identification, determining
bridge
> capacity, or cargo requirements, go for it.  But that doesn't require
> whole construction system based on the size.

I'll stop lurking for a sec and ask (in case nobody has brought it up
yet):
Why not do both?

Publish a fluff design system that deals in capacity points, sizes,
stealth
etc.

And a Point design system that can then be used to determine the
point value of the resulting vehicle.

So the Fluff design system would look (it's been awhile since I've
designed any DSII vehicles, so this is probably completely off):
Capacity = 5 x size of vehicle.
Fixed Weapon system = weapon size.
Turreted weapon system = 2 x weapon size.
Generators take up x size.
Mobility takes up x size.
Armor takes up x size.
Stealth takes up x size.
etc... etc.. etc...

You can further differentate powers by saying stuff like NAC are
masters of the DFFG, as such their DFFG's count as one size less.
They also have superior stealth so can place 2 levels of stealth
on their vehicles. etc. etc.

While INF can only take MDC and have no stealth, no grav, etc.

Then, after determining the fluff statistics of a vehicle, you
determine how much the vehicle costs in points.

So a defense of level a costs b points.
Movement of c costs d * (Defense Modifier) points.
A offense of level e costs f * (Def Mod * Move Mod) points.

Total up the three values to get the cost of the vehicle.

Just a thought,

Prev: Re: [DSII] Heresey Next: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)