Prev: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:16:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

--- Brian Burger <yh728@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:

> > Very well done and realistic movie. . .
>
> <shrug> Haven't seen it myself, not likely to. A
> number of the people who
> mentioned it in webpages really didn't like it, for
> whatever reason,
> that's all.

Something about Arabs acting like Arabs.  See:
Palestinians in the evening news.  Before Sept 11 that
was considered "racist".

> The funny thing is, in a lot of the scenario ideas
> I'm batting around (and
> some of the real life situations I've read about) if
> both sides behaved,
> there isn't/wasn't a fight and/or interesting
> scenario. You want one side
> to be behaving badly to have an interesting game,
> when you start fiddling
> with actual ROE stuff!

Generally, the civvies are the ones acting badly. . .
which is the point.

> > I'll try to dig up a complete copy of the ROE from
> > Kosovo for you.
>
> It's not online somewhere? (Too recent?)

Operational ROEs for ongoing missions are not posted
on the internet.

> I gather there's a short, 'flash card' version for
> everyone to have in
> their pocket all the time; even that would be useful
> information for
> inventing ROEs in games.

That's the ROE as briefed to troops on the ground.  I
can't find my flash card right now.

John

Prev: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)