Prev: Re: Double blind, was Re: satchel charges and scouting Next: [OT] Blade II

Ranks, etc.

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:07:10 -0500
Subject: Ranks, etc.

Adrian the former Queso King said:
The officer ranks are the same as the
Americans,

[Tomb] One notable exception. We know
how to pronounce Lieutenant. One day
we'll let our Southern friends in on the
secret. ;)

One of the most effectual rebukes I ever
saw delivered was by a WO2 from CFB
Kingston. He flayed some poor soldier for
some error (forget what hideous crime he
had commited) without ever raising his
voice, without ever uttering a profanity,
and in the end, said soldier clearly was
miserable and felt that he wasn't a credit
to his unit, his uniform, himself, or
humanity as a whole. Very effective, and
delivered in a mild tone and without any
abuse. *That* WO had talent!

Corporals in the Canadian Forces tend to
be either a temporary rank (on the way to
better things) or for the less apt, a terminal
rank. Corporal prevents you being
manipulated like a private, but you don't
have responsibility. Generally to get to
Sergeant (and often to Master Corporal),
you need to take the ISCC course (or JLC if
you aren't a gropo) (Infantry Section
Commander's Course or Junior Leadership
Course).

Also, un-trained or partially trained privates
don't get a chevron, so we tended to
differentiate them (if required) by the use
of "private, no hook" and "private". Of
course, "recruit" was often used but was
done with fondest (LOL!) regard by the
training non-coms...... ;)

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges.
[The more corrupt a republic, the more laws.]
-- Tacitus

Prev: Re: Double blind, was Re: satchel charges and scouting Next: [OT] Blade II