Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 09:30:50 EST
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

On Sun, 03 Feb 2002 17:28:53 +1100 Derek Fulton
<derekfulton@bigpond.com>
writes:
>At 07:09  1/02/02 -0800, John Atkinson wrote:
>>Now you want some dumb 18-year old private to lase a
>>target, adjust his computer and act as a mini
>>artillery piece?  Bullshit!
>
>Well from want I've read I think the user flicks the selector to the
>desired setting and points and shoots., there are a few settings. A
>point
>detonation setting (the default), the grenade goes off when it hit's
>something. A delayed point detonation system, designed to penetrate
>(something like a car door) before detonating. A setting for lobbing
>the
>grenade in through windows, you  lase the wall, aim at the window and
>the
>grenade detonates in the middle of the room (I suppose there's a set
>distance added to the range on this setting). Also the air burst
>setting as
>well :).
>
>But John has a point, who'd want to such a complicated task to carry
>out ;)
>I mean just imagine set the selector to the required setting, lase the
>
>target and fire......Who'd be able to manage that? Maybe tank gunners?
>
>Cheers
>
>Derek

May I raise a 'minor' point?

Grunt Glen (one N - I have two n's) is supporting Pfc Phred's advancing
fireteam with the grenade launching (air burst) when two of Nasty Ned's
Nefarious Native Nazi's burst from their position on Phred's flank
shooting down 1 of the brave 4 warriors advancing and rushing the
remainder to close.  In his haste to support his phriends butt Glen
forgets to switch from GL to 'combat rifle'  mode and drops his grenade
neatly over the heads of both groups killing the two NNNNN's but killing
one of Phred's fire team members and wounding the others.  Could it
happen - you betcha' it *will* happen.	Not every time but once is
enough
for the 'friendly fire victims.

I always dislike the idea of having to remember 'which' personality my
weapon has active under fire.  Rifles should be rifles,  GL's should
require separated triggers, etc., etc., etc...

The AF version - back in the old days when NORAD interceptors carried
nukes for interception (in theory of course) :

In simulator pilot closing on bandit flying over American city fails to
switch selector from nuclear armed rocket to conventional weaponry.  Of
course "Positive Ground Control" prevents this in real life...	Good
thing we never had to find out...

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON