Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard...... Next: Re: OT: On keeping domesticated peeves as pets --> Re[2]: Colonists and Weapons

Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:18:15 +0100
Subject: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan M Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>
> >Depends on the market and technological progress. 40 years ago, a
> >Laser, any Laser, was a Nobel-price-worthy invention. Nowadays
> >everybody has and uses Lasers - your CD player has one, there are
Laser
> >pointers, Laser Lightshows etc.
> >
> >A mass-produced Laser rifle plus charger might well be cheaper than a
> >rifle and ammunition once the technology is mature.
>
> I have a new iBook. I could take that iBook with me to Afganistan. I
> could not find parts or a full replacement unit in Afganistan. I
> could not make those parts there either. I could take my 1941 Lithgow
> Enfield Rifle there and get a local with some simple machine tools to
> make a new trigger spring or turn out a new firing pin. Thats the
> difference.

Well, a laser rifle might have neither a firing pin nor a trigger
spring. It
could be almost completely solid state.
And - on earth- who says that in a place with simple machine tools
(requiring electricity) you will not be able to find imported
electronics -
at a price ?

But with respect to Laser rifles we are indeed arguing out of thin air
(mostly).

Greetings
Karl Heinz