Prev: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard......

Re: OT: On keeping domesticated peeves as pets --> Re[2]: Colonists and Weapons

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:29:30 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: OT: On keeping domesticated peeves as pets --> Re[2]: Colonists and Weapons

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:42:31 -0500, Flak Magnet <flakmagnet72@yahoo.com>
wrote :

> I thought that by definition a _pet_ peeve was your single most
> prominent peeve. How can you have more than one most prominent peeve?
> If you have multiple peeves of equal prominence with no peeves above
> those aformentioned peeves of equality, would that not indicate that
> you do not, in fact have a "pet" peeve but merely a smattering of
> peeves? (Is a groups of peeves a flock, herd, brood, pack, pride or
> gaggle?)

I believe that the collective noun for a group of peeves is a "snit".

> pet
> adj : preferred above all others and treated with partiality; "the
> favored child" [syn: favored, favorite(a), favourite(a), preferred]
>
> I guess someone could go through life always picking the peeve that's
> currently got him peeved as his "pet" peeve, but that seems to be a
terribly
> fickle and not entirely a fair way to treat one's peeves.  Peeves,
> however annoying they may be, need love and attention like any other
> pet.	They are not suited to being treated like herded animals such
> sheep or cows.  Many a man who has attempted such a thing winds up
> becoming chronically annoyed, irritable or contrary.	Colloquially
> referred to as being "peevish" amongst those in the peeving world...

I hope to be known as "curmudgeonly" in my old age, rather than
"grumpy".  I
also hope to be accorded the title of "eccentric", which I much prefer
to "that
weird old guy with all the toy soldiers".

Alas, I fear that I am doomed to disapointment.  And my chronic
mistreatment of
my peeves -- up to and including unlicensed and unrestrained peeve
breeding --
is only going to make things worse.

> (Just nit-picking the pickers of nits, with due respect and humorous
> intent.)

It's only fair.  It is, indeed, natural law!  If I'd corrected someone's

spelling, for instance, I'd have been bound to make a spelling error or
three
myself.

Thus is the balance maintained.

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard......