Prev: 2300 AD - GZG Next: Re: DS2 More on Cascadia: CasCav

Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:57:02 -0800
Subject: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

Scott Clinton Wrote:

>What about a plain'ol future tech LASER rifles?
>
>Assuming that energy storage technology or LASER technology makes a few
>'jumps' (just as we assume for gauss technology) why not arm these
>colonials
>with with LASER weapons?
>
>LASER weapons would NEVER require ammo.  Just a recharge from the local
>power grid/solar cells and perhaps a replacement of a few components
(only
>needed after significant use) and they are ready to go again.	LASER
rifles
>might pack a lesser punch, but they should be pretty reliable, do
decent
>damage, have good range and zero recoil.  Also packing a lesser punch
is
>not
>always a bad thing when arming colonist (ie they will think twice about
>facing the local armored regulars or PA).  And IMO LASER rifles should
not
>be out of the tech ability of an average colony to produce/maintain.
>
>Just my 2 cents, but IMHO a light/medium LASER rifle beats them .

Depends on how gritty you're playing your future.  The problem I've
always
had with lasers as personal weapons is the issue of what happens if the
optic get jarred.  maintenance and service issues tend to lessen it's
effectiveness as a frontier weapon.  As a military weapon, the problem
is
mitigated by the presence of support units to service weapons.	But even

then... I'd rather have my soldiers/colonists carry somethinmg around
that
won't break from the get-go.

2B^2

Prev: 2300 AD - GZG Next: Re: DS2 More on Cascadia: CasCav