Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: OT: Technology alert - guns that fire 1,000,000 rounds per minute

Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:09:46 -0500
Subject: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

At 9:27 AM -0800 1/16/02, Brian Bilderback wrote:
>After further	consideration, and taking into account the
>suggestions and observations I have received, here is the winning
>design submission in the MBT competition for the Republic of
>Cascadia/Cascadian Armed Forces MTT-15A Kodiak.  The design was
>submitted not by a manufacturer but by an independent design firm.
>After bidding to construct it, the governemnt decided to award bids
>to both Boeing Cascadian AND Kenworth.

How about a more compact and flexible design from Lockheed-Alvis
systems:

Class 3
Armor 3 (add on R if desired adding 9K MCR)
Fast Tracked, CFE (could go HMT)
Sup systems (FC/ECM)
1 infantry
GMS-H/Sup
RFAC-2
APSW x2
Backup Systems

205 Pts or 205,000 CR

(its a Variation on the NAC's Med Tracked brigade forces used on more
core NAC worlds for Home Guard, wheeled being the dominant form of
automotive components for

It has a very easy to maintain CFE engine that parts can be found for
on any world or even fabricated in situ with simple machine tools.
Field maintenance is a cinch. The size 3 allows for a small signature
and easy planet to planet portability. The fast tracked system allows
for good floatation and mobility in a variety of situations.

However, it does violate the size = weapons systems design limit if
you include the APSW's but I can show plenty of vehicles that include
that many weapons and an infantry section in the back. Heck the ACAV
type M113's violate this rule with 2 Inf sections capacity and 3
APSW's at size 2-3.

Cost is very basic and you get good quality of design as well as easy
maintenance. Weapons wise it can deal out quite a bit of damage to
armor that it may face and can provide very good support to the
infantry attached to it in the form of direct APSW fire or RFAC-2
fire against enemy armor. A HEL 2 with an uprated power plant
(234kMCR) may be an option as well for additional range.

Its a good platform that has been used for a mortar carrier, APC,
rocket battery, Air defense system, recovery vehicle, combat
engineering vehicle or med tank. All have common automotive
components.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			       '72 Honda CB750 -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill	      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
- C&R-FFL - /	Protect Freedom AND Security	  \	       -
-    NRA   /  http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/   \ DoD #0780 -

Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: OT: Technology alert - guns that fire 1,000,000 rounds per minute